Do you want to work in the Netherlands as a foreigner? It is good to know some important things.

Like what?

  • If you are a citizen of a country that is member of the European Union (EU), the European Economic Erea (EEA) or Switzerland, then you can legally live and work in the Netherlands for the maximum of three months.
  • If you want to stay/ work for more than three months, you have to apply for a residency permit from the Immigration and Naturalisation Service.
  • You are not a citizen of the European Union, EEA or Switzerland? In that case it is only possible to work legally in the Netherlands if you have a valid residency permit. If you don’t have this permit, your Dutch employer will have to apply for a work permit.
  • Have you worked in another country which is member of the EU, EEA or in Switzerland by virtue of a residency permit in the past five years (or four years if you are a Turkish citizen)? In this case your employer doesn’t need to apply for a working permit.

Members of the EU and EEA

Which countries are members of the EU and EEA? Here we have a list of the members:

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Germany, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Malta, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the United Kingdom.